Summer school "Tourism: traditions and future"
Summer school "Tourism: traditions and future" is designed for students interested in studying international tourism.
Summer school program includes lectures and workshops in tourism, practical Russian language course and unforgettable cultural program.
TOURISM DESTINATION MANAGEMENT
Managing tourism destinations is an important part of controlling tourism's economical, environmental and cultural impacts. During the course you learn such aspects of tourism destination management, as land-use planning, acquiring business licenses and permits, zoning controls, environmental and other regulations. The main topics of the lectures include introduction to destination management, strategic foundations (assessing the situation on the market, setting a vision, goals and objectives), destinations positioning and branding, destination products development.
Tendencies of Future Tourism
The course provides knowledge in the fields of tourism, economy, ecology. You will understand the nature of tourism genesis and development; learn strategies that are used to analyze future tourism tendencies. You will investigate outbound travel trends and inbound travel trends through the studies of World Tourist Regions (Asia-Pacific, Americas, Africa, Europe, Middle East, Asia). This course enhances your professional development in the fields of tourism and environmental studies, and help in understanding new strategies of tourism development.
Programme of the course includes topics such as:
- role of tourism in the global economy;
- outbound and inbound tourism: intra-regional and inter-regional flows, numbers of travelers;
- future characteristics of sustainable tourism;
- how tourism affects global warming;
- negative social, cultural and environmental impact of tourism industry today and in the future.
SAINT PETERSBURG: HISTORY AND CULTURE
Summer School also allows students to learn some facts from the history, culture and geography of Saint Petersburg - a bright, fascinating and lively metropolis, visited by millions of tourists from all over the world every year.
Program of our Summer School includes visiting the Hermitage museum, known as a pearl of Russian culture, monuments sightseeing, river and channel trips, tours to the suburbs with their famous imperial palaces (Peterhof and Tsarskoe selo) - all of this complemented by lectures on the city history. Studying outdoors has always been a part of the Summer Schools that international students found especially inspiring.
RUSSIAN LANGUAGE COURSE
Studying the language is an inevitable stage of exploring another culture, which enables to understand the nation's mentality and worldview. Even knowing the basic concepts of the language and some key phrases and expressions in Russian can create warm, friendly atmosphere during the negotiations with the Russian partners and, overall, make business communication more effective.
Russian Language course will also allow students to feel more comfortable during their stay in Saint Petersburg. Students will learn the main peculiarities of the Russian alphabet, basic rules of reading and the most common words and phrases. Course will dwell on speech and communication aspects of the language. It is designed for beginners who want to practice modern Russian language in official and informal areas of communication.
The lecturers working at the Summer School hold a PhD and have vast teaching experience which includes teaching in English abroad. Our university has been arranging Summer Schools for international students since 2009.
- provides knowledge in the fields of tourism, environmental science and culture;
- explores the problem of tourism sustainable development in environmental context;
- discovers the ways of determining potential customers (tourists) for a tourism destination and forming strategies of home destinations promotion on foreign markets;
- gives an overview of the most prospective types of tourism;
- estimates problems, caused by international tourism and analyses methods of removal the negative impact of tourism;
- enables students to forecast tendencies of international tourism development;
- gives an overview of Saint Petersburg history and cultural heritage;
- provides basic knowledge of Russian language.
Our Summer School will be interesting for those who want to learn about the tendencies of modern international tourism development, whether having a previous background in related areas or being new to it.
2 weeks (3 ECTS)
Students with previous background in tourism or interested in it.
21830 roubles (approx. ˆ496) - studying, cultural program
12000 roubles (approx. ˆ300) - accommodation in a hostel (14 nights)
+ extra fee for the entrance tickets to museums and parks
Saurce: Saint Petersburg State University of Service and Economics