Practical tips /
Personal security /
In a car
• If you are going on a long journey, plan your route using main roads and telephone ahead to let someone know roughly when to expect you.
• Carry out pre-drive checks on fuel, oil and tyres. Spare wheel and an autocompressor are useful in case of a flat tyre in a remote area. Remember: roads in Russia are, unfortunately, far from being in an ideal condition.
• Always carry a good torch and check batteries regularly.
• Handbags or briefcases are safer placed on the floor or behind the seat than on the passenger seat. Never leave valuable items in the car; if you have to, lock them in the boot out of sight.
• If you do not have a mobile phone always carry enough change and/or a telephone card to make a telephone call.
• If you're travelling in a car alone you may feel safer locking the doors while driving.
Prepared by O. Zakharova
Special thanks to authors of a personal safety guide for international students
AN ACTIVE HYPERLINK IS COMPULSORY for using any material from this webpage
All material is copyright protected
HTML code links: